Apr 8, 2008

Hola... Hello... Bonjour... Guten tag...

Hello,

The subject of my blog isn't representative of how many languages I can speak. In fact, I only speak English fluently. I took Latin in 9th grade (why learn a dead language? To be a Catholic choir boy. I am not. I chalk it up to being home schooled), but in my heart I was always resistant to the idea of learning another language. I can't really explain why, naiveté on my part I suppose. Anyways, I haven't taken any language courses until this school year (I learned a little German during a one month stay over there). I decided to take Spanish at community college. I have loved it! Sure, I can't say I always love the homework or the occasional headache of learning that different people say the same thing with different words (ex. Why express how long ago you did something with the verb "hacer" which means "to do, to make"?). Overall, I have found it a welcome challenge. Unlike my friend ajpolyglot, I don't intend to major in linguistics. I intend to major in English and hopefully pursue a career in journalism. If possible, I'd like to go into international journalism. That's where language comes in beyond just my curiosity. Right now, I'm thinking I will probably learn Chinese or perhaps Arabic. After this year, I still have one more year of Spanish to finish as a prerequisite. My posts won't necessarily be based out of knowledge but out of shared curiosity. Every now and then, I'll post something about Spanish and my progress. What you'll also see from me are overviews of various languages. I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to blog here, but I'll attempt to make it interesting when I do. Thanks for reading.

Hasta luego,
Roy G. Biv

No comments: